AFA-CWA COUNCIL 19 LOCAL BASE MEETING
JUNE 21, 2017
1:00pm – 4:00pm
2:25 Call Meeting to Order
· Meeting called to order by Laura Masserant (LEC President)
2:25: Budget Review
· BOD only and the Finance Committee
No dues increase with proposed budget. AFA is operating within our means, which is good. But, the Finance and Budget committees believe that it is prudent to save money and prepare for upcoming costs in the future (Local Elections, for example) A contingency plan to establish a saving account and save 400k per year is proposed and this will ensure that the reserve account stays in tact. SBA is fully funded as are Negotiations budgets. This budget even allows the hiring of another staff attorney and a staff negotiator.
· Why was the dues procedure changed for new hires? It was voted on the past BOD that new hires will begin to pay due in their first full 4th month of service. Did away with the initiation fee and provides reserves the ability to run for office and actively participate in union elections sooner.
· BOD Budget was unanimously voted in by Council 19 members present.
3:35 LEC Officer Reports
Report from Laura Masserant
· Introduction of the new officers: Terry Taylor, Jake Jones, Adam Clarey, Melinda Jorge and Megan Brown
· OS TIcketing went live and you can file a ticket via the system.
Laura would like to thank everyone for their support over the past six years. It has been her pleasure to serve the Council 19 members and
Report from Jake Jones – Vice President
· Status Quo~ Happy to serve another term as the LEC VP
Report from Linda Christou – Secretary Treasury
· Membership on track and declining. This is Linda’s last term as LEC Secretary-Treasurer, but she is already serving in her new role as the MEC Secretary-Treasurer.
3:40 Committee Reports
· Reports given electronically and will be posted
3:45 Late Agenda Items
3:46 Unite Here “Fight for 15”
· Guest Brian Mason, Unite Here, presented information about the fight for $15.00 and on-going issues with Alaska Airlines to pay workers. Seattle FAs pledge to help in any way that they can.
4:00 Call for Adjournment of Meeting
Click here for the Local Committee reports: