Dear Flight Attendants,
Posting the Tentative Agreement (TA) Summary yesterday has already generated a lot of questions, which is to be expected. Many have asked where they can find the TA. As of this writing, the full text TA is not yet ready for distribution but we are working diligently to make it available as soon as possible. Once finalized, the plan is to immediately post it electronically and to distribute hard copies as soon as practicable thereafter (taking into account the logistics of printing, etc.).
The TA Summary has been updated with the latest roadshow schedule, a correction to a minor error involving a ‘Minimum Pay Rules’ pairing example and to clarify a few points. The newest version of the TA Summary is linked here:
Please keep in mind this document is a summary only and is not the full language. We’ve already heard from several Flight Attendants who believe we have eliminated language because they did not read about a specific provision or another in the summary. Rest assured this is not the case. In order to break a very large document down to a few pages a lot of content must be dropped. In most cases where there is an existing provision, we did not call it out in the TA Summary unless it was changed.
Just a few clarifications (based on questions and/or concerns from the line—this is by no means an exhaustive list of explanations):
- The Profitability Bonus (usually referred to on the line incorrectly as “the COLA”) has been eliminated in favor of a longevity premium of one dollar ($1) for every five (5) years of occupational service (as an Alaska Airlines Flight Attendant) starting at 20 years of service.
- The Longevity Premium is paid on all Worked TFP (TFP paid exclusive of sick leave and vacation) and is not subject to the bonus tax rate. It is paid along with one’s regular wages on the 20th paycheck.
- Flight Attendants eligible for the 2013 Profitability Bonus (aka COLA) will still receive it on April 20, 2014.
S29 Profit Sharing and Retirement
- No change to 401(k) Company match of 7%.
- No change to Performance Based Pay (PBP) or Operational Performance Results (OPR) bonuses. (We’ve been hearing that some Flight Attendants believe this has been eliminated—not true!)
Your Negotiating Committee understands there will be plenty more questions along the way. We will continue to update you with supporting documentation as it is produced. If at all possible, we would love to see you at one of the two rounds of scheduled roadshows in order to have a more in depth conversation about the TA and the negotiations process. We hope to see you soon!
Your Negotiating Committee – MEC President Jeffrey Peterson, Brian Tracy, Karina Cameron-Fetters, Jake Jones and AFA Senior Staff Negotiator Paula Mastrangelo