2019 Open Time Tentative Agreement
The open time tentative agreement that was previously released has been cancelled. Please refer to this post for additional information. When there are further developments, information will be sent out by AFA email newsletter and posted to this page.
Open Time TA is canceled
Full Text Tentative Agreement
Strikeout text is proposed deleted language and underlined text is proposed new language.
Open Time TA Presentation
The presentation was broadcast live in a morning and afternoon session on the AFA Alaska YouTube Channel on Tuesday, April 30, 2019. You can access a copy of the Open Time TA 2019 Presentation slide deck and the raw recording of the afternoon broadcast below. (The morning broadcast was lower quality due to audio and video challenges.) AFA also plans to release a recorded compilation video of the two sessions in the coming days.
A (not so brief) history of Open Time
- Open Time TA is Canceled (May 16, 2019)
- Open Time Negotiations Update – Tentative Agreement (April 26, 2019)
- Open Time Negotiations Update – March 2018
- [AS] Open Time Negotiations Update – December 2017
- [AS] Open Time Update – September 2, 2017
- [AS] Open Time Negotiations Update – June 1, 2017
- Open Time Negotiations Update – March 3, 2017
- Open Time Negotiations Session 2 Update – December 7-8, 2016
- Open Time Negotiations Begin (November 18, 2016)
- Open Time Trial Cancellation (July 21, 2016)
- Open Time Trial Update May 2016
- Open Time Trial (January 15, 2016)
- October 2015 Open Time Update
Negotiating Committee Contact Info
It is extremely important for all eligible Members to vote! For your information, a non-vote does not count one way or the other. Once you have cast your vote, your vote is final and cannot be changed.
Flight Attendants who do not receive their voting instructions with the 16 digit activation code must call the AFA Ballot Helpline. Call (800) 424-2401 and choose option 1, then enter extension 706. If you have not received your voting instructions after the polls open, please call the AFA Ballot Helpline. Flight Attendants who have dues or membership issues should call AFA Membership Services at (800) 424-2401 and choose option 7. AFA Membership Services is staffed Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM ET (closed major holidays).
As with the LEC officer elections, Flight Attendants will receive a ballot packet containing the voting instructions including a 16-digit activation code and the voting guide. These will be mailed from the mail house in Maryland on the date on the main TA page. The activation code is specific to each Member therefore new instruction or voting guides will not and cannot be mailed. If a Flight Attendant does not receive her/his ballot packet, s/he must contact the AFA Ballot Helpline. A new activation code with instructions will be emailed from the voting system directly to the Member.
A Flight Attendant must be an active member in good standing to be eligible to vote
Active: They must not be on an unpaid leave of absence; however if they are within the 3 month window then they are eligible.
- Example 1: An F/A is on an unpaid leave as of 03/01/2019. Their 3 month dues obligation is March, April, and May. This person is eligible to vote without any issues.
- Example 2: An F/A is on an unpaid leave of absence as of 12/01/2018. Their 3 month dues obligation is December 2018, January 2019, and February 2019. This person is not eligible to vote unless they contact Membership Services and pay their dues through and including May 2019 [AFA C&B Article II C.1.b(3)].
Apprentice Members/New Hire Flight Attendants: New hire Flight Attendants who have not been employed for 4 full calendar months as of the day the polls close are not eligible to vote and cannot make themselves eligible to vote, nor will they receive the voting instructions. However, if a new hire Flight Attendant has completed 4 full calendar months of employment on or before the day the polls close they are eligible to vote during the entire voting period.
Good Standing: If a Flight Attendant is delinquent in paying their dues they are not eligible to cast a vote. These F/As will receive the voting instructions with an activation code, however they will not be able to cast a vote until they settle their account. These individuals must contact AFA Membership Services.
Member: A Flight Attendant must be a member to cast a vote. Non-members or agency fee payers are not eligible to vote. However, they will receive the voting instructions with a 16-digit activation code. These non-members can make themselves active by completing a membership application. These individual must contact AFA Membership Services. In order to be eligible to vote, your membership application must be received by AFA Membership Services no later than the day the polls close.
If you would like to verify your membership status, please contact your Local Membership Committee.
Address Update: AFA Membership Services will be uploading the roster into the ballot system prior to the mailing of the ballots. Until then, a Member may submit an address update via the AFA Membership Services change of address form at www.afacwa.org/coa.
Please note that updating your address with the company does not automatically update your address with AFA; a separate change of address must be submitted using the link above.