AFA Alaska Contract and Negotiations Newsletter – May 22, 2021
Master Executive Council (MEC)
In This Edition
- Contract Extension 2021 Ratified and Associated Sideletter Executed
- A Historic All-Time Low Voter Participation
- Negotiating Committee Interviews Paused and Applicants Released for Now
- Contract and Negotiations Education Efforts Resume
Contract Extension 2021 Ratified and Associated Sideletter Executed
Although it is less than ideal for a tentative agreement (TA) to be ratified by such a small margin, the Contract Extension 2021 did pass with a spread of 25 votes or 1.4% of active members in good standing casting votes.
Click here for certified ballot results >
The associated sideletter of agreement has now been executed and posted on the AFA Alaska website –> Contract Home –> Letters of Agreement (LOAs). It will also be uploaded to Inflight Mobile Devices soon.
Click here for the One Year Contract Extension 2021-2022 Sideletter of Agreement >
A Historic All-Time Low Voter Participation
The Contract Extension 2021 TA voter participation was a historic all-time low for AFA Alaska with 37.7% of active members in good standing who cast votes. The MEC anticipated that voter turnout would be significantly impacted by the substantial number of Flight Attendants on leaves, many of whom may have understandably chosen to not convert themselves to “active” status by paying dues for every month they had been on leave through May 2021. We also know of a few who inadvertently barely missed the balloting window. Regardless, participation was much lower than anticipated.
Many Flight Attendants posted on social media that they were largely ambivalent about the vote. Although this was “just” a one-year contract extension with a minimal raise, it is extremely important that we get our participation rate much higher for next time. Member participation sends a signal to management regarding our collective engagement. The silver lining to this cloud is that we will have plenty of time to prepare for negotiations in September 2022 and to build our solidarity in the meantime.
Negotiating Committee Interviews Paused and Applicants Released for Now
Negotiating Committee interviews have been paused and the Negotiating Committee applicants have been released for now. The MEC is planning to re-post Negotiating Committee positions this coming October 2021 and to resume interviews in January 2022.
Contract and Negotiations Education Efforts Resume
AFA Alaska will resume contract and negotiations education efforts via periodic newsletters such as this one.
(New topics may be added and the order subject to change)
- Updated Contract Negotiations Timeline
- Preparatory Work to Improve the Efficiency of Negotiations
- Negotiations Under the Railway Labor Act
- Growing Reliance on Non-AFA Social Media Outlets as Sole Source of Information
- Negotiating for Our Future
- Block-Hours vs. TFP
- Block or Better vs. §21.J Block Delays
- L-VX Incentive Pay vs. Productivity Premium Program (PPP)
- L-VX Inflight Team Leader (ITL) Pay vs. “A” Pay