Welcome New Members!
We’re glad you’re here! The best way to get started is by getting familiar with what AFA is, how your union works, and your AFA representatives and elected leaders.
As a new AFA Member, here are some ways that you can become familiar and engaged with your union:
Learn how the AFA structure works
- Read about your Local Council, the AFA structure within your base
- Read about the Master Executive Council (MEC), the body that coordinates AFA across the airline
- Read about the AFA Committees and the services that they provide to all of our Flight Attendants
Acquaint yourself with your elected leaders
- Your Local Executive Council (LEC) Officers within your base (ANC | LAX | PDX | SAN | SEA | SFO)
- Your Master Executive Council (MEC) Officers for the airline
Familiarize yourself with the Reserve Committee and how they can help and support you as you begin your new career.
- Know who your Reserve Buddy is an ensure you have his/her contact information saved and accessible.
Keep your contract with you at all times while flying.
- Never hesitate to ask questions or call your Reserve Committee Members or LEC Officers if you need clarification on any issue.
After You’ve Completed Probation
Once you’ve completed your probationary period, we encourage you to get involved. AFA is your union! Opportunities to get involved include:
- Attending Local Council Meetings and other AFA events
- Volunteering to serve on an AFA Committee
- Running for an elected AFA office
You can find out more on how to get involved after your probationary period from your LEC Officers within your base (ANC | LAX | PDX | SAN | SEA | SFO)
Go More In-Depth with AFA 101
AFA 101 is a computer-based training (CBT) program offered by AFA to help you learn more about how our Union started, our accomplishments, and how we continue to work today. The course consists of short modules that:
- Recount the history of AFA and the past events that shaped our union into what it is today.
- Describe each level of the AFA organizational structure and how they are interrelated.
- Explain how dues are allocated and used throughout our Union for member representation.
- Explain why we use committees and how they are established and function.
- Explain guidelines for the use of email, and social media in Union communications.
AFA 101 helps to build a solid foundation of knowledge that empowers you to be an active and engaged AFA Member.
Turbulent Romance: The History of the Association of Flight Attendants
This 18-minute video provides a brief history of AFA and will help you to become familiar the struggles and accomplishments of those who have come before us.