Q: I heard that in the proposed Open Time system you are locked out of all Open Time trading on a closed day. Is that true?
In the proposed Open Time system, all Open Time trades are allowed on a closed day(s) (including the days automatically closed four days prior) except for:
- Direct (straight) drop(s) (from a FA to Open Time) on the closed day(s), and
- Trading out of the closed day(s).
Again, all other types of Open Time trades are allowed as long as you do not drop or trade more than 40 net TFP into Open Time (the “Net 40”) in that bid month. Day-for-day (or greater) trades are allowed on closed days either on a trip-for-trip basis or by a single transaction multiple trade. This is very similar to the trading rules in place under the previous “Back to Book” trading system (prior to late 2015).
Example: Open Time is automatically closed today (the 10th) and for the next four days (11th, 12th, 13th, 14th). You have a 4-day starting tomorrow (11-14). You may exchange your 4-day for any of the following trips in Open Time as long as you have not dropped or traded more than 40 net TFP into Open Time:
- 2-day today (10-11) + 3-day 12-14 [day-for-day and greater via a single transaction multiple trade]
- Different 4-day 11-14 [day-for-day]
- Turn tomorrow on the 11th + all-nighter turn 12-13 (single duty period spanning two calendar days) + another turn on the 14th [day-for-day via a single transaction multiple trade]
- Any combination of trips from Open Time as long the trips operate on (i.e. cover or touch) the 11th through the 14th.