Inflight Service Committee
- Our AFA Inflight Service Committee Chairpersons met on Wednesday, May 24 to discuss their ongoing program of work to represent Flight Attendants interests related to catering and onboard service/sales.
- The Committee also met with management to receive updates and discuss issues and problems that Flight Attendants are facing onboard the aircraft.
- The Inflight Service Committee continues to work with management to continuously improve onboard catering and engage in discussions leading to future improved processes. Please continue to report catering issues through Block2Block and safety-related issues through ReportIt!
On Wednesday, May 24, our AFA Inflight Service Committee Chairpersons met to discuss their ongoing work to represent our Flight Attendants and push for improvements in our workplace. Representing you at the meeting were Naomi Parcell (ANC), Ross DeJong (SEA), Todd Horn (PDX), Raymond Ramirez (SFO), Johanna Thomas (LAX), and Chase Vandergrift (SAN). Also present was MEC Inflight Committee Chairperson Stephanie Garnett.
The committee met with MD Inflight Services and Inflight Administrations Gloria Chang- Vanderwell, MD Guest Products and Passenger Food and Beverage Todd Traynor-Corey, GM Catering Operations and Passenger Food and Beverage Service Jenny Connett-Schreiber, Inflight Experience Program Manager Matthew Coder, Inflight Product and Experience Director David Scotland, Principal Cabin Prod & Exp Mgr. Chris Dela Rosa, Director of Onboard Food and Beverage Dean Courtelis, SR Food and Beverage Product Mgr. Jessica Johnston, Mgr. F&B Planning and Programs David Rodriquez, and other management representatives from the food & beverage and catering operations.
The next scheduled Inflight Service Committee meeting is September 20, 2023, where we will return to in-person meetings.
Topics of Discussion
The committee reviewed several items during internal AFA-only conversations and when meeting with management. Some items discussed include:
Food & Beverage
- In response to both guest and crew feedback, pre-departure beverages were discussed in depth.
- May 10th service change complexities were discussed.
- There is a global shortage of green grapes and other fruit may be substituted on meal trays.
- During our 1st Quarter meeting, the Committee requested a solution to a shortage of trash and recycle bags, and a better placement of service trays.
- Service trays will be moved into beverage carts on June 21st.
- Rolled trash and recycle bags are ready for testing and if all goes well, they will be onboard aircraft in the fall.
- We greatly appreciate the solutions the Catering Ops team developed.
- Ice contracts for 15 outstations and trash removal processes have been well received.
- Catering will focus on ice, especially for the summer months and going forward.
Stationery and Flight Attendant Kits
- Discussed contents and potential modifications (e.g., wipes).
- There are plans to incorporate service training into 2024 Recurrent Training.
- The goal is to bring “fun” back into our roles as Flight Attendants, and ensure we have all the necessary resources to provide great service.
- An Onboard Service Handbook is currently being designed, with quick reference guides and checklists.
- Management recognizes the “why” behind the “what” is important to Flight Attendants.
We Want to Hear From You!
Please continue to report any catering issues or problems with onboard service using the catering feedback function in Block2Block. If you’ve experienced a safety-related issue, please submit a report through ReportIt! Your reports provide the Committee with the data needed to continue pushing management for meaningful improvements in our workplace.
Do you have other feedback for the Committee or items that you’d like brought up with management? Please let us know! Your Local Inflight Service Committee is your voice to management. You can find our contact information on the Inflight Service Committee page of the AFA Alaska website.