- Our AFA Scheduling Committee Chairpersons met on Tuesday, November 22 to discuss their ongoing program of work to represent Flight Attendants interests related to lineholder scheduling.
- The Committee also met with management to receive updates and discuss issues and problems that Flight Attendants are experiencing with scheduling, pairings, and bidding.
- Your Local Scheduling Committee is available to answer questions, provide clarification, or help to resolve any lineholder scheduling-related issues. Please don’t hesitate to reach out!
On Tuesday, November 22, our AFA Scheduling Committee Chairpersons met to discuss their ongoing work to represent our Flight Attendants and push for improvements in our workplace. Representing you at the meeting were Heather Reier (ANC), Martin Vance Tillou (SEA), Melodie Anderes (PDX), Jaqui Bellenie (SFO), Natalie Codd (LAX), and Kitty Cohen (SAN). Also present were MEC Scheduling Committee Chairperson Jake Jones, MEC Scheduling Committee Vice Chairperson—Pairing Construction Karen Ferrell, MEC Scheduling Committee Vice Chairperson—PBS Adam Clarey, and MEC Reserve Committee Chairperson Julie Thornton. The committee met with Inflight Crew Scheduling Duty Manager Sara Cook, Director of Crew Planning Mike Ostler, and other management representatives from Crew Planning and Crew Scheduling.
Topics of Discussion
The committee reviewed a number of items both during internal AFA-only conversation and when meeting with management. Some items discussed include:
- Review of D position pairings, distribution by domicile, and hotel/transportation within the United States.
- Holiday Premium as outlined in CBA Section 21.H.
- Minimum Days as outlined in CBA Section 10.E.1.a./b.
- Reassignment pay under 10.R.5.
- Reminder that filing for Stranded pay under 21.N is not automated.
- Identified TFP discrepancies and auditing mileage.
- Care Retreat. The last chance to bid is January for March. Management will assign training if not bid.
- Line holders picking up reserve days may be assigned to Care Retreat. See Care Retreat 2022-2023 LOA.
- Changes coming to PBS web hosting. The PBS website will have a new URL. The current website will be set up to direct Flight Attendants to the new location. Refer to PBS Info page.
- Accessing sick leave balances in Rainmaker. The balances show total accrued and estimated accrual. Refer to Rainmaker guide on the Flight Attendant website.
- Flight Attendant contactability requirements per the FAA and collective bargaining agreement.
- Review of Crew Scheduling phone systems and how irregular operations are handled.
- Staffing changes and management job postings within Crew Scheduling.
- Crew Access Known Issues and JCTE Errors. Upcoming expected release in December 2022.
- Future planning, scheduling, and aircraft delivery/retirement in 2023.
What The Committee Is Working On
- Scheduling a meeting with Network Planning. The Committee would like to meet with Network Planning in 2023 to discuss our contract, legalities and suggestions. We want to provide management with the Flight Attendant perspective and in an effort to improve our quality of life.
- Review of JCTE/Crew Access transaction performance. Each month, ITS provides the Committee with data on performance and transactions within JCTE/Crew Access. The Committee reviews these reports to ensure our service levels are maintained at the appropriate thresholds.
- Scheduling Quality of Life Improvements. Reviewing ways to improve Trip Length Distribution (TLD) and other quality of life options. Working with management to develop a quality of life survey to determine Flight Attendant scheduling priorities.
- Review of user guides and links of Flight Attendant website. Ensuring information is still accurate in existing resource materials, links are still active and working, etc.
- Updating Crew Access videos. Working with management and ITS to update the Crew Access instructional videos to reflect updates and changes to the user interface.
We Want to Hear From You!
Do you have feedback for the committee, concerns you’d like to share, or items that you’d like brought up with management? Please let us know! Your Local Scheduling Committee is your voice to management. You can open a support request on the AFA Alaska Online Support Center or contact us directly using the information on the Scheduling Committee page of the AFA Alaska website.