AFA-CWA Council 19 Base Meeting
When: Friday, November 22nd, 2019
Where: Earhart Room Lower Plaza STOC
I. Call meeting to order-meeting called to order at 1:02pm by Terry Taylor
A. Call for late agenda items
B. Late agenda items
- Officer Update
President Report- Four day MEC meeting all MEC Committee Chair positions will be interviewed, send in your application and letter of interest no later than November 25. To get to the expression of interest form please follow this link to the latest MEC Update, https://afaalaska.org/mec.
Unusual amount of lost IMD’s in Seattle, automatic oral warning (lowest level of discipline).
Benefits handbooks have all been updated on the inflight page.
We are getting a new payroll system, Rainmaker. A release date has not yet been published.
Vice President Report- See JCTE/Crew Access Agenda Item
Secretary Report- We are operating under budget. Push from the MEC to get all outstanding dues paid. International Membership is resending all bad standing letters. If you are in bad standing contact International Membership and pay off your dues in full or start a payment plan by signing a promissory note. AFA International Membership Office 1-800-424-2401, ext. 707 (M-F 9:00-5:30 EST). You can pay your dues online at http://www.afacwa.org/payment or mail your payment to AFA-CWA Membership Department, 501 Third Street NW, 7th Floor, Washington DC 20001.
- Committee Updates
Scheduling Committee- OT Issues, our base does not have the same experience as the smaller bases. Over 160 tickets have been filed with AFA, and a grievance has been filed. Will need to schedule base sits regarding how back to book works. A transaction history will be another report available soon in JCTE.
PBS- Steve Poynter AFA MEC PBS Committee Chair- Program update coming on Monday November 25th. This update will require Flight Attendants to clear your cache. Instructions for clearing cache are available on the PBS Info Page a quick google search will also provide you information on how to clear your cache. Update has increased the speed of the login synchronization process. New aircraft code when bidding opens 32B, code is for 321 NEO. If you are avoiding Airbus you will need to add this new Airbus code for January bidding, when bidding opens on December 5th.
EAP/Professional Standards-FAAS Program (Flight Attendant Alcohol Support) has been put on hold to do a safety risk management assessment. EAP believes there’s is a huge need for this program. In the meantime, EAP will still utilize their current substance abuse resources to support Flight Attendants that reach out to EAP. In January Horizon will start building the same program. EAP Chairs will tour Recovery Ways facility in Salt Lake City. New EAP Rep joining us in December Frank Isles, brings our total to 9 reps. Transition to new EAP emails soon, more information will be provided at that time.
Communications- Text alert program isn’t functioning anymore. Looking at a replacement text alert program through AFA International.
Reserve- Only one class of 83 is planned for next year to come online May 1st. Planned classes for the next year are subject to change.
Hotel-New Program Aces has been delayed until at least March. Recent site visits to MSP, FLL, SAT, and currently doing OKC. Upcoming site visits for LGB for recurrent training and DEN. Complaints regarding ORD hotel on Facebook, but very few official complaints filed through Crew Care. For hotels issues please file a complaint with Crew Care. Everyone will be moved to Crystal City in DCA until January because of construction.
Uniform-Looking at an alternate for the new winter parka for fall 2020, reason for the alternate is complaints regarding the warmth of the current one. The current winter parka will still be uniform complaint. Reminder that only uniform approved coats are allowed. Ongoing grievance regarding using our allotment for Luly Yang accessories. Swapping out crew bags for the Legacy VX FA’s to the travel pro. CBT Quarter 1 2020 will include uniform compliance standards.
Inflight Service-Asking catering to put their top 10 wish list together, once received, wish list will be communicated to the Flight Attendants. Gogo App will no longer be needed to stream movies, planned rollout is April 2020. Push for FA’s to write up inop outlets, this is a maintenance issue not an inflight serve issue. Planned launch in April, FA’s will be able to directly communicate with the boarding agents in B2B. New menu tasting on December 16th.
Safety-New hardstand operation, called cargo 7, near existing Alaska hanger. Port is planning on putting placards to scan for safety concerns out at hardstand locations. Concerns regarding using the thumbs up on Airbus for potential injury if the CSA opens up the door before FA pulls their arm back from viewing port.
Human Rights-Introduction of our new chair Yan Yan Teague, Human Rights is a new committee set up at the AFA/CWA convention in 2018. Still navigating how the Human Rights Committee will function. Working towards more partnership with CWA, increasing election turnout. Working on a gender-neutral option for our Flight Attendant uniform.
Government Affairs- Unite Here Local 8 union includes our caterers in Seattle, attended a meeting to support their negotiations, Tuesday November 26 a picket scheduled at SeaTac. Planning on a government affairs/human rights joint meeting this next year during the upcoming election to begin a voter registration push as well as a push to sign up for Flight Pac.
- Agenda Items
- Training update-Have seen an increase in FA’s failing their first and second attempts evacuation drills. Change in drills, no instruction or coaching is allowed. RT classes have been running over since we’ve come back from the FAA shutdown.
- Pairing update/scheduling issues-Guest ANCFA Karen Ferrell MEC AFA Pairing Analyst- Company and AFA provide pairing solutions each month and the company decides which solution will be selected. Main consideration is cost when selecting pairing solution. AFA’s goal is to find the sweet spot where the most desirable pairings are selected for each base balanced out with a comparable cost to the company solution so that AFA’s pairing solution is selected.
Karen presented a slideshow of how pairing construction works, and how pairing solutions are selected.
Results from the survey in Seattle indicate that 4 day trips are not desirable, during the pairing solution runs the amount of 4 day trips is considered and attempts are made to limit the amount of 4 days in Seattle.
Discussion and Q&A for Karen and the Scheduling Committee regarding soft locks, hard locks, and why pairings are built differently each month.
- Parking issues at North Lot-Increased number of complaints regarding the North Parking Lot. Overcrowded buses and lack of parking spaces are the two main complaints. Company committee is working on the issue and looking into alternate solutions for parking options. Parking complaints and concerns should be sent directly to Jenny Bookert, firstname.lastname@example.org, pictures are helpful.
- JCTE/Crew Access issues- MEC met with the President of Jeppesen regarding our recent Crew Access issues. Changes were made to stabilize the system, but still a work in progress. Notifications, Trip Header, Trade History, Fire and Forget were the main topics discussed by line pilots, line fa’s, AFA reps, and ALPA reps at the November 17th meeting. Jeppesen doesn’t have a real time instant solution, currently working towards 10 second transaction processing time. Back to Book will be coming, estimated timeline to reprogram Crew Access is 9-12months. For more information on Back to Book please refer to our contract Section 12 Exchange of Sequences.
- Delta Airlines Organizing- AFA has begun organizing Delta, look for more information coming out soon if you are interested in assisting with the effort.
- Question and Answers from members regarding topics discussed, officer reports, and general questions.
III. Adjournment- Meeting Adjourned by Terry Taylor and seconded by Adam Clarey at 3:57pm
Attendance at local Council 19 meeting 11/22/19
Yan Yan Teague
Karen Ferrell-ANCFA MEC Pairing Analyst