Inflight Service Committee
- Our AFA Inflight Service Committee Chairpersons met on Wednesday, September 13 to discuss their ongoing program of work to represent Flight Attendants interests related to catering and onboard service/sales.
- The Committee also met with management to receive updates and discuss issues and problems that Flight Attendants are facing onboard the aircraft.
- The Inflight Service Committee continues to work with management to continuously improve onboard catering and engage in discussions leading to future improved processes. Please continue to report catering issues through Block2Block and safety-related issues through ReportIt!
On Wednesday, September 13, our AFA Inflight Service Committee Chairpersons met to discuss their ongoing work to represent our Flight Attendants and push for improvements in our workplace. Representing you at the meeting were Naomi Parcell (ANC), Ross DeJong (SEA), Todd Horn (PDX), Raymond Ramirez (SFO), Johanna Thomas (LAX), and Chase Vandergrift (SAN). Also present was MEC Inflight Committee Chairperson Stephanie Garnett.
The committee met with MD Inflight Services and Inflight Administration Gloria Chang- Vanderwell, MD Guest Products and Passenger Food and Beverage Todd Traynor-Corey, GM Catering Operations and Passenger Food and Beverage Service Jenny Connett-Schreiber, Inflight Experience Program Manager Matthew Coder, Inflight Product and Experience Director David Scotland, Principal Cabin Prod & Exp Mgr. Chris Dela Rosa, Director of Onboard Food and Beverage Dean Courtelis, SR Food and Beverage Product Mgr. Jessica Johnston, Mgr. F&B Planning and Programs David Rodriquez, and other management representatives from the food & beverage and catering operations.
The next scheduled Inflight Service Committee meeting is November 29, 2023.
Topics of Discussion
The committee reviewed several items during internal AFA-only conversations and when meeting with management. Some items discussed include:
- Cabin refresh for our AC to include convenience features for our passengers. We were pleased to hear that the 3 aft lavatories will remain on refurbished AC.
- Streamlining the service was discussed to improve consistency for passenger experience. Catering concerns were brough forward and their impact on flight attendants and passengers was discussed.
- Marketing/Catering appreciates ISC feedback regarding timing service increments. This helps determine the amount of service that can be safely accomplished.
- Product changes will start being available on our AC in the fall. ISC attendees were treated to tasting teas that we will see on our flights. We look forward to serving these options.
- New containers were discussed for hot meals in the MC. There will be testing to determine if they meet our serving and disposal needs.
- Catering Ops has faced many difficulties with the performance of the kitchens. They are instituting practices to help improve the situation. Catering Ops provided a demonstration of the FAC system which collates B2B entered comments.
- The new Onboard Service Handbook, one location for all service offered, was discussed. An overview of the 2024 Service Refresh training was also presented.
We Want to Hear From You!
Please continue to report any catering issues or problems with onboard service using the catering feedback function in Block2Block. If you’ve experienced a safety-related issue, please submit a report through ReportIt! Your reports provide the Committee with the data needed to continue pushing management for meaningful improvements in our workplace.
Do you have other feedback for the Committee or items that you’d like brought up with management? Please let us know! Your Local Inflight Service Committee is your voice to management. You can find our contact information on the Inflight Service Committee page of the AFA Alaska website.