- Our AFA Reserve Committee Chairpersons met on Thursday, September 14 to discuss their ongoing program of work to represent and advocate for our Reserve Flight Attendants.
- The Committee also met with management to review a number of specific concerns that were brought forward by Flight Attendants.
- Your Local Reserve Committee is available to answer questions, provide clarification, or help to resolve any reserve related issues. Please don’t hesitate to reach out!
On Thursday, September 14, representatives from our AFA Local Reserve Committees met to discuss their ongoing work to advocate for Reserve Flight Attendants. Representing you at the meeting were Brandi Urban (ANC), Conner Gallagher (SEA), Meghan Casey (SFO), Kanako Yamada (LAX), and Rebecca Garcia (SAN). Also present were MEC Reserve Committee Chairperson Julie Thornton and MEC Reserve Committee Vice Chairperson—New Hire & Probation Jarod McNeil.
The committee met with Inflight Crew Scheduling Manager Goose Hlaingmyint and Inflight Crew Scheduling Supervisor Derrick Bernard.
The committee is next scheduled to meet on Thursday, December 7.
Topics of Discussion
The committee reviewed a number of items both during internal AFA-only conversation and when meeting with management. Some items discussed include:
- Plans for Initial Training classes for 2024. Number of classes and specific numbers of students in each class are dependent on delivery of new aircraft.
- Issues and glitches with Crew Access that are affecting Reserve Flight Attendants. Review of where known issues are documented and newly added/ fixed issues.
- Review of upcoming update to Crew Access software and associated fixes to current issues and other improvements prioritization for programming fixes.
- Support for probationary Flight Attendants through the Probationary Buddy Program. Buddies are very busy supporting new Flight Attendants. Reminder to refer Probationary Flight Attendants to their Buddy for answers to questions about contract and work rules.
- Reminder to new hire Flight Attendants about the AFA Alaska Online Support Center to report issues, raise concerns, or ask questions.
- Ongoing concerns with ISA coded trips that are not labeled as premium. Please reference bulletin #2023-074. If you have any issues please report through the AFA Alaska Online Support Center so AFA representatives can follow up with management.
- Review of reserve-related scheduling issues that have occurred recently.
- Review of reserve-related issues that have been escalated to the Scheduling Review Board (SRB) and Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) processes.
What the Committee is Working On
- Assisting Probationary Flight Attendants Through the Probationary Buddy Program. Answering questions from and providing support to probationary Flight Attendants through an expanded AFA Probationary Buddy program.
- Addressing Reserve Contractual Concerns. Researching and investigating reports from Reserve Flight Attendants and actively ensuring management is complying with our contract.
We Want to Hear From You!
Do you have feedback for the committee, concerns you’d like to share, or items that you’d like brought up with management? Please let us know! Your Local Reserve Committee is your voice to management. You can open a support request on the AFA Alaska Online Support Center or contact us directly using the information on the Reserve Committee page of the AFA Alaska website.