Dear Flight Attendants:
The VOICE (Volunteer Organizers for Information, Communications, and Education) Committee has served us with distinction over the past several years during contract negotiations. The MEC would like to thank these committee members for their dedication and contribution to AFA. Today, we announce a new chapter, as the VOICE Committee evolves to become the new Mobilization Committee.
As we gear up for another round of negotiations, demonstrating our solidarity and unity is more important now than ever before. Bringing Flight Attendants together through participation in organized solidarity activities will be the primary responsibility of the Mobilization Committee. The Committee will also work to actively share information pertaining to negotiations and help Flight Attendants to find and access official sources of information.
The backbone of our mobilization efforts will be our Mobilization Volunteers. Volunteers will provide support to the Negotiating Committee through coordinated solidarity activity and two-way communication between the membership and the committee. They will work closely with the Local Mobilization Chairperson to call other members to action through participation in organized solidarity activities and a program of information sharing with Flight Attendants.
Specific duties of a Mobilization Volunteer include:
- Responsible for educating the membership and moving them to action. They will provide information and support for targeted issues or specifically identified groups of Flight Attendants as defined by the Negotiating Committee.
- To further the Flight Attendants’ understanding of key issues through active information sharing and referral to official sources of information
- To dispel gossip, rumor, and inaccurate information regarding negotiations by directing Flight Attendants to official sources of information
- To provide two-way communication of the needs and responses of the membership through feedback to the Local Mobilization Chairperson and the Negotiating Committee
- Actively participate in organized solidarity activities such as canvassing of membership at airports and crew rooms, informational leafleting or picketing before the general public, or other activities as approved by the Master Executive Council (MEC)
How To Get Involved
In order to get involved as a Mobilization Volunteer, plan now to attend one of the upcoming mobilization training sessions to be held in May. Sessions will be held as follows:
- Anchorage – Monday, May 12 – 10 AM to 12 PM / 1 to 3 PM
- Seattle – Tuesday, May 13 – 8 to 10 AM / 11 AM to 1 PM / 2 to 4 PM
- Portland – Wednesday, May 14 – 10 AM to 12 PM / 1 to 3 PM
- Los Angeles – Thursday, May 15 – 10 AM to 12 PM / 1 to 3 PM
- San Diego – Friday, May 16 – 9 to 11 AM / 12 to 2 PM
In order to sign up for one of these sessions, visit the online registration form here: http://alaskamec.org/mobilization/training. Once you’ve registered, be sure to mark your calendar and plan to bid the day off. Please note that space in each session is limited and registration will close once capacity is reached.
We are excited about the new Mobilization Committee and look forward to the opportunity to demonstrate our combined resolve for the contract improvements that we deserve!
Your MEC – Jeffrey Peterson, Brian Palmer, Yvette Gesch, Becky Strachan, Laura Masserant, Cathy Gwynn, Sandra Morrow and MEC Mobilization Chairperson Adam Clarey