This morning there was a fire caused by the battery in the buy on board credit card sleeve on a flight from EWR to SEA. Everyone is safe and the flight was diverted. Because of that Alaska Airlines is removing all credit card sleeves from all flights immediately. Management is working on sending out an ACARS message to crews already in flight with instructions.
***Please do not take the buy on board sleeves onboard and do not charge them. Keep your iPhone. Return the sleeve to your base office. If you are on a layover, leave the sleeve with station personnel (e.g. CSA) prior to boarding. Ensure it is powered off with the battery still attached. ***
Once Alaska Airlines management has a better handle on the situation they will be providing more information. There is a message on the splash screen and management will be pushing a message out to all F/A phones this morning. Please help us get out the word quickly!
Take care and fly safe!
Your MEC – Jeffrey Peterson, Brian Palmer, Yvette Gesch, Lisa Pinkston, Laura Masserant, Cathy Gwynn, Sandra Morrow and Stephen Couckuyt; and MEC ASHSC Chairperson Seth Heiple