Human Rights Committee
- Our AFA Human Rights Committee Chairpersons met on Thursday, August 4 to discuss their ongoing program of work to advance human rights within our workplace and community.
- The Committee also met with management to receive updates on what progress has been made on concerns that had been previously brought forward and address new concerns that have come to light.
- If you have ideas, thoughts, or feedback for the committee, your Local Human Rights Committee Chairperson would love to hear from you!
On Thursday, August 4, our AFA Local Human Rights Committee Chairpersons met to discuss their ongoing activism to build awareness and effect change within our workplace and community. Representing you at the meeting were Matt Cook (ANC), Yan Yan Teague (SEA), Sylvia Newbill (PDX), Melissa Osborne (SFO), and Louise Borras (LAX). Also present were MEC Human Rights Committee Chairperson Chip Hestle and MEC Secretary-Treasurer Linda Christou. The committee met with Managing Director of Inflight Operations Michaela Littman and Seattle Director of Inflight Base Operations Jenny Bookert from management.
Topics of Discussion
The committee reviewed a number of items both during internal AFA-only conversation and when meeting with management. Some items discussed include:
- Ongoing efforts to increase diversity and representation within the Flight Attendant Special Projects Pool.
- Upcoming celebrations of Hispanic-Latinx Heritage Month (September 15 through October 15) and Native American Heritage Month (November)
- Management has added a link on the inflight website directly to the AFA Human Rights Committee website. The link can be found under Administration > AFA > Human Rights Committee.
- Management will soon be launching a new email introducing diversity champions.
- Management’s proposal to conduct DEI listening sessions with Flight Attendants in each base; discussion about involvement of the AFA Human Rights Committee.
- Upcoming plans by management to introduce gender neutral uniform pieces.
- Participation by Human Rights Committee Members in the upcoming CWA Human Rights Conference and Pride at Work Convention.
- Plans to conduct a Human Rights Committee survey to help determine priorities for the committee based on Flight Attendant feedback.
- Review of management’s current diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) metrics.
- Update on current program of work from the company’s Business Resource Groups (BRG). The BRGs are working to encourage more participation from front-line employees.
- Ongoing concerns about employees using gendered language in announcements. Request that management issue a reminder.
- Concerns about availability of emergency healthcare for pregnant employees in locations where regulations may impose limitations on healthcare providers given the overturn of Roe v. Wade.
The committee is next scheduled to meet with management on Friday, November 18, 2022.
What The Committee Is Working On
- Developing a Framework for Diversity & Inclusion Listening Sessions. Discussing proposed plans with management to have our AFA Human Rights Committee facilitate sessions in each base that would allow Flight Attendants to discuss diversity and inclusion topics and concerns with management.
- Promoting Increased Diversity Within the Flight Attendant Special Projects Pool. Advocating for management to create a Special Projects Pool that is reflective of our overall work group, starting with a focus on those who are selected to participate in Flight Attendant recruiting and hiring.
- Building Relationships with the Company’s Business Resources Groups (BRGs). Continuing to work to establish relationships with leaders of the Company’s BRGs to find areas where we can join together to advance human rights within the scope of each group.
We Want to Hear From You!
Do you have feedback for the committee, concerns you’d like to share, or items that you’d like brought up with management? Please let us know! Your Local Human Rights Committee is your voice to management. You can find our contact information on the Human Rights Committee page of the AFA Alaska website.