The MEC Grievance Committee Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to the MEC Grievance Committee and Local Grievance Committees. The Assistant works closely with the MEC Grievance Committee Chairperson, Local Grievance Committee Chairpersons, Scheduling Committee, and Reserve Committee to ensure Flight Attendant receive the best possible representation.
- Robust working knowledge of the Flight Attendant collective bargaining agreement, specifically the scheduling, reserve, grievance procedures, board of adjustment, and compensation sections.
- Ability to maintain office hours in Seattle during the business week and attend meetings as required.
- Strong computer skills. Excellent working knowledge of Jeppesen Crew Access (JCA), Google email, osTicket, and Microsoft Office preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write communications, respond professionally to internal and external e-mail, track issues, prepare reports, and plan meeting agendas and take minutes.
- Ability to meet deadlines and follow up on assigned tasks.
- Previous Grievance, Scheduling, or Reserve Committee experience strongly preferred.
- Provide procedural assistance and administrative guidance to Local Grievance Committees in handling Flight Attendant concerns.
- Maintain the grievance log. Assign grievance numbers when requested and log appropriately. File grievances as requested. Ensure copies of all filed grievances are received and filed appropriately.
- Oversee the Scheduling Review Board (SRB) process. Facilitate SRB meetings. Maintain the SRB agenda, keep and distribute meeting minutes, update osTicket records with meeting outcomes, and post meeting notes for member review.
- Participate in the Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) process as a notetaker. Maintain the ADR agenda, keep and distribute meeting minutes, update osTicket records with meeting outcomes, and post meeting notes for member review.
- Serve as system administrator of the osTicket system. Set up new users, maintain user accounts, and conduct all new user training. Conduct daily and weekly reviews of the system to ensure all tickets are receiving proper follow-up. Coordinate with corresponding Committee Chairpersons or Officers to address and resolve open issues.
- Maintain grievance files. Ensure each file contains all necessary documentation. Handle all requests for retrieval of files by authorized Committee Members, Officers, or AFA staff and provide requested files within established timeframes. Oversee and maintain electronic file system.
- Maintain records of all memorandums of understanding, letters of agreement, and labor memorandums. Post newly executed documents to the AFA website and arrange for inclusion on the IMD.
- Maintain the Grievance Committee calendar. Schedule and plan meetings and conference calls as needed.
- Participate in meetings with management at the request of the MEC Grievance Committee Chairperson or MEC Officers.
- Develop, write, and edit correspondence and other communications. Assist in preparation of monthly committee reports to the MEC and quarterly committee reports to the Members.
- Other duties as assigned by the MEC Grievance Committee Chairperson or MEC Officers.
Time Commitment and Flight Pay Loss Reimbursement
- This position is budgeted for 60 TFP of Flight Pay Loss (FPL) per month, paid with a 5% override.
- Time commitment is approximately two days per week in Seattle with additional work completed remotely or in the office as necessary. No relocation or accommodation expense is provided for this position.
- The MEC Grievance Committee Assistant will have two pre-arranged, pre-planned absences (at 6.0 TFP credit per day) loaded into her/his schedule each work week for bidding purposes. Alternatively, s/he may be placed on “no bid” status with MEC approval.
With The MEC Grievance Committee
This position works directly on a day-to-day basis with the MEC Grievance Committee Chairperson and Payroll Representative. Frequent interaction with Local Grievance Committee Members.
With Other MEC Committees
Frequent interaction with the MEC Committee Chairperson and Local Committee Chairpersons of the Scheduling and Reserve Committees. Occasional interaction with Local Committee Members of each committee.
With The Master Executive Council
This position reports to the Master Executive Council through the MEC Grievance Committee Chairperson. The MEC executive sponsor for the committee is the MEC President.
With Alaska Airlines Management
Constant interaction with management, particularly the Managing Director of Labor Relations—Inflight (Carmen Williams), Manager of Labor Relations (Mike Link), and Director of Inflight Crew Scheduling (Denia Pisia). Occasional interaction with Inflight Crew Scheduling Duty Managers and other members of management.
Expressing Interest and Interview Scheduling
- Submit a declaration of interest and resume to MEC Secretary-Treasurer Linda Christou at email@example.com no later than 5 PM Pacific Time on Tuesday, January 22, 2019. Linda will be able to provide additional information regarding transportation and booking of flights if necessary.
- Initial interviews will be conducted by telephone or videoconference from January 28-30, 2019. Linda will contact eligible candidates to arrange a timeslot for an interview.
- Final candidates will be invited to interview with the MEC by telephone or videoconference on Wednesday, February 13, 2019.
Please direct any questions about the position to MEC Grievance Committee Chairperson Stephanie Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your MEC – Jeffrey Peterson, Brian Palmer, Linda Christou, Lisa Pinkston, Terry Taylor, Mario de’Medici, Melissa Osborne, Tim Green, Brice McGee and MEC Grievance Committee Chairperson Stephanie Adams