Year End Reminder!
On November 12, we held our Council #19 Base Meeting. Please click the link before to view the minutes from the meeting.
Terry, Jake, Adam, Melinda and Megan
SEA Air Safety Health & Security Committee
SemiAnnual Base Meeting
October 18, 2018
AFA Only 10-11am
David Lake Janice Sidwell Callie vonBorstel (QX Council 16 BOI)
Seth Heiple Marikaye Paulson
Terry Taylor Ronda Ruderman
- Discussion regarding use of hardstand operations utilizing bussing. Apparently there have been no reports from FAs of problems with this operation at SEA. Suggestion to have a SEA newsletter item to encourage FAs to use ReportIt! for FA or pax safety concerns, such as use of canopy at top of stair, communication issues, lack of radio, cabin temperature concerns, duty day concerns related to bussing operation. David will write an article for Terry to publish in newsletter.
- Discussion of winter coat for new uniform. Currently there is no planned arctic coat option.
- Seth mentioned the concern of FA cracking a cabin door for ventilation while on the ground. FAs have been advised by company we may not crack the Airbus door because of lack of fall protection required by OSHA. Seth asked the committee for opinion on being consistent between fleets and restricting cracking on Boeing door as well. The committee consensus was follow OSHA provisions and do not crack any door, be consistent on all a/c.
- Seth discussed CSA procedure for door opening on arrival and his expectation that would become consistent on both fleets that CSA would open all doors.
Meeting with Management 11am-2pm
Attendees (AFA attendees plus)
Omar Torres Denise Brooks Stephanie Garnett
Cari Allen Kitsy Sperling Terri Thomsen
Monica Grant Kimberly Mitchell Lisa Macintosh
Jessica Eller Ana Martinez Cynthia Collins
- Introductions were made of all attendees.
- Next Meeting date was set for April 25, 2019
- Seth provided an overview of the roles of the MEC / LEC committee chairs; meeting structure and history; process for the meeting agenda items; contractual provisions for the committee.
- Omar addressed injury trends showing most frequent types to be pushing / pulling, lifting, reaching. Supervisors will be present on concourse to discuss safer techniques with FAs. He would like the base to work with David on producing some videos showing safe techniques for lifting, pulling, reaching.
Lisa M. asked questions about FA responsibility for stowing pax bags. Monica mentioned there are some requirements of the ACAA pertaining to people with disabilities. Seth mentioned the committee has requested of the company that all UM bags be checked. Direction to FAs, including language about the “tug test,” is not clear whether FAs are required to lift pax bags.
Omar continued with concern of potential for slipping injuries with coming wet weather and outside operations. There will be a bulletin to FAs regarding precautions against slipping, and FAs will be able to wear onboard shoes when boarding using outside stairs. FAs have not been informed whether they can wear boots in the winter although Cari said the Safety department has recommended this. Other wet weather concerns are wet floors in a/c entryway and provisioning of absorbent mats; and correct positioning of stair at a/c door.
- Cari reported her top 4 focus items:
Cabin AQ events
Turbulence working group, which includes other work groups
Cabin Temperature working group which looks at events and follows up to determine causal factors. She would like to get FA reports on this topic. These events are discussed in the weekly cross divisional safety call. Alaska is looking at cabin temperature as an important concern and is willing to consider provisioning thermometers in the FA kit.
Door working group analyzing the partner approach to arming / disarming, considering reports noting problems with current door procedures. Safety Dept has recommended returning to previous door procedures on Boeing. Inflight will make the decision on any changes.
There was discussion about the usability of the ReportIt! app. Inflight and safety would like to see numerous improvements, including adding the injury report to the phone app. There is a concern that FA injuries are not being reported because FAs can’t find the injury report form, which is only on the desktop version.
- Monica discussed future plans to update and reformat the FAM once the new person is hired for this position.
- FAs attending meeting discussed their concerns.
Kitsy discussed a van accident her crew was involved in, and the confusing information from Global Lifeline. Omar said the new Duty Manager position in scheduling should be overseeing events like this in future. Cari will check with MedAire regarding the information given to FAs. Terry mentioned that Global will ask FAs if they want to go to a hospital because they cannot order a FA to go.
Terri had a concern that a used POB wrapped in a trash bag does not fit back into the bracket. Suggest this be reported on IR with photo. She also had concerns about handling late boarding pax bags and the time push for on time departure. Please Stop the Operation for compliance. Seth mentioned a new FA boarding procedure will have FAs out of the cabin until boarding is complete, this may relieve some pressure on FAs being asked by pax to stow their bags.
Kimberly was concerned about assault on teen assist pax when crew did not know teen assist was on board. Suggestion to add teen assist symbol to Block2Block.
Cynthia brought up how confusing communications to FAs are, with so many sources of communication. Monica mentioned there is a project in Inflight Compliance to streamline communications.
Denise asked how important is zone boarding for light loads, when can pax move around. She was told there are now 5 zones in the cabin instead of the previous 3. Seth will request an indication in B2B of light load zones, and where and when pax can move. Denise would also like a reminder to FAs on prior brace position on J/S and to be seated once safety duties are complete.
Lisa would like a reminder to FAs of policy on refilling pax cups.
Stephanie gave an update to committee on defective carafes, that they will be replaced with a second batch which should not have the defect. There is a concern for the weight of the full carafe. Catering would like to replace it with a lighter weight plastic carafe but cannot due to cost concerns. Encourage FAs to use ReportIt! for catering safety concerns.
Meeting adjourned at 2 pm.
Don’t forget, our Council #19 Base Meeting will be held tomorrow (Monday November 12th).
WHERE: Earhart Room – Lower Level, SEATAC Office Towers (same building as 13 Coins)
WHEN: November 12th, 1-4pm
PARKING: In front of the building is free for up to 3 hours. Behind the building is free as well. If you park in the rear of the building, take a ticket and bring it with you to the meeting for validation.
AGENDA: LEC Committee Chairs and Officers will be giving updates and answering questions.
Hope to see everyone there!
November Base Update
Reminder: Local Council Meeting
When: November 12, 2018 1-4pm
Where: Earhart Room – Lower Level, SEATAC Office Towers (same building as 13 Coins), 18000 International Blvd – Across from SEATAC. Free parking in front of building as well as behind. If you park in the rear, please make sure to bring your ticket with you for validation.
Agenda: Officers and Committee Chairs will be present to update on recent activities, and to answer questions.
Cornerstone continues to be problematic. We’ve been assure that early this week the latest ‘glitch’ will which resulted in previously completed CBT for Q4 being deleted should be resolved early next week. Training states that reports from Cornerstone can be used to retrieve the date. We believe the deadline for completion may be extended.
We are supposed to be issued new IMDs in early 2019. Meanwhile, those we have are wearing out. In some cases, new SIM cards are issued through Spot On, but that doesn’t always solve the problem. Some Flight Attendants have been told that no new IMDs are available. Some have been sent replacement IMDs that don’t work any better than the ones they had. This is unacceptable. We will soon be issued new BOB scanners. They have been tested, and are now being distributed to Airbus Flight Attendants to use with their new IMDs.
Recent Committee Activity:
Government Affairs: Committee members have held base sits for voter registration, and have been active with the ‘Get Out and Vote’ Campaign. Bev Bullock and Terry Taylor attended a luncheon to thank Representative Rick Larson for advocating during FAA Reauthorization Bill debates, for unreducible 10 hour Flight Attendant Crew Rest. Airlines have up to 6 months to enact the new regulation.
Benefits: The Benefits Committee members have been busy as well. Kathy O’Malley will be conducting Base Sits during the last two weeks of the Annual Benefits Enrollment, to assist with questions and provide information. Feel free to call if you can’t come into the base during one of these available Base Sits.
Scheduling: Members of the Scheduling, Reserve and PBS Committees, including Steve Poynter, Jarod McNeill, Conner Gallagher, and Adam Clarey are conducting Base Sits in Councils #18 & #35. In January, Airbus Flight Attendants will be bidding for February schedules using our PBS system. This will be their first time using NavBlue. The Committee has put together training materials and will offer assistance. In Seattle, Base Sits/Trainings for the ‘new’ PBS system will be scheduled after the first of the year. The ‘old’ system will still be available for the time being, but will be eliminated in 2019, tentatively in May.
Air Safety and Health: The semi-annual Seattle Base Safety Meeting was held October 18. The meeting was well attended. Minutes are available on the Council #19 webpage.
EAP/Professional Standards: Committee members will be attending CIRP training this month.
Grievance: New committee members attended training in October. Kiara Jenkins, MEC Scheduling Committee Payroll and Council #19 Reserve Chair Julie Pinson attended.
ISSC: Committee members have conducted base sits in Seattle, for the new service roll out. They are also assisting with Base Sits for the Airbus Flight Attendants during their conversion to our service model.
Are you Connected?
Make sure you are getting the most up to date information.
Terry, Jake, Adam, Melinda and Megan