In accordance with Article VI.C of the AFA Alaska MEC Policy and Procedure Manual, the term of appointment for the MEC Committee Chairpersons is concurrent with those of the MEC Officers. As the current MEC Officer term of office will end on December 31, 2016, the MEC will be conducting a review of the MEC Committee Chairperson positions in early 2017.
During this review process, the MEC will be interviewing for the following MEC-level chairperson positions:
- Air Safety, Health, & Security Committee (ASHSC) Chairperson
- Benefits Committee Chairperson
- EAP Committee Chairperson (2 positions)
- Hotel Committee Chairperson
- Hotel Committee Vice Chairperson
- Reserve Committee Chairperson
- Retirement Committee Chairperson
- Scheduling Committee Chairperson
- Scheduling Committee Vice Chairperson (PBS Subcommittee Chairperson)
- PBS Subcommittee Member (though not a chairperson position, this position is appointed at the MEC level)
- Uniform Committee Chairperson
Appointments for the ASHSC Vice Chairperson, Government Affairs Committee Chairperson, Grievance Committee Chairperson, and Inflight Service Committee Chairperson positions were all made within the last several months. As a result, these positions will not be reviewed and will continue their term until the end of the next MEC Officer election cycle.
The following qualifications apply to all MEC-level Chairperson positions:
- Previous experience as a Committee Member or Chairperson preferred (required for EAP)
- Previous committee-specific training preferred (required for EAP)
- Ability to attend meetings as required, including being present in Seattle on occasion
- Strong computer skills. Good working knowledge of Inflight Mobile Device, Google email, and Microsoft Office.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write membership communications, respond professionally to internal and external e-mail, prepare reports, and plan meetings agendas and take minutes.
- Ability to meet deadlines, delegate responsibilities, and follow up on assigned tasks
Duties and Responsibilities
Information about the duties and responsibilities of each specific committee can be found in article VII of the MEC Policy and Procedure Manual, which can be accessed by clicking here.
Time Commitment and Flight Pay Loss Reimbursement
Time Commitment and Flight Pay Loss for each position will be discussed during the screening interview.
Interview and Selection Timeline
Qualified candidates will be invited to a screening interview with the MEC by video conference on Wednesday, January 4.
Finalists will be invited to an in-person interview at the AFA Alaska MEC office in Seattle at regularly scheduled February MEC meeting on February 21 and 22.
Expressing Interest and Interview Scheduling
Submit a declaration of interest and resume to MEC Secretary Treasurer-Elect Linda Christou at email@example.com no later than 5 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday, December 28, 2016.
Any questions about MEC Committee Chairperson positon duties and responsibilities can be directed to MEC Vice President Brian Palmer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your MEC – Jeffrey Peterson, Brian Palmer, Yvette Satterlee, Lisa Pinkston, Laura Masserant, Cathy Gwynn, Tim Green, Brice McGee and MEC Secretary Treasurer-Elect Linda Christou