- Our AFA Scheduling Committee Chairpersons met on Tuesday, June 28 to discuss their ongoing program of work to represent Flight Attendants interests related to lineholder scheduling.
- The Committee also met with management to receive updates and discuss issues and problems that Flight Attendants are experiencing with scheduling, pairings, and bidding.
- Your Local Scheduling Committee is available to answer questions, provide clarification, or help to resolve any lineholder scheduling-related issues. Please don’t hesitate to reach out!
On Tuesday, June 28, our AFA Scheduling Committee Chairpersons met to discuss their ongoing work to represent our Flight Attendants and push for improvements in our workplace. Representing you at the meeting were Heather Reier (ANC), Martin Vance (SEA), Melodie Anderes (PDX), Virginia Fritz (SFO), Natalie Codd (LAX), and Kitty Cohen (SAN). Also present were MEC Scheduling Committee Chairperson Jake Jones, MEC Scheduling Committee Vice Chairperson—Pairing Construction Karen Ferrell, MEC Scheduling Committee Vice Chairperson—PBS Adam Clarey, and MEC Reserve Committee Chairperson Julie Thornton. The committee met with management representatives from Crew Planning and Crew Scheduling.
Topics of Discussion
The committee reviewed a number of items both during internal AFA-only conversation and when meeting with management. Some items discussed include:
- Review of personal drops.
- Base staffing.
- Reserve Flight Attendants deadheading to other bases to cover red eye flying.
- Reassignments and compensation.
- Flexibility of increased TSN, bulletin board grabs and raising the reserve ARC.
- Canceled flights and pre-cancellations.
- Hotel/transportation, excessive wait times and limited availability.
- Working through the AFA Online Support Center on issues brought forward by Flight Attendants.
- Staffing changes in Crew Scheduling.
- Crew Scheduling management reminded schedulers of contact only once while on RON and how/when to remove trips from reserve self-assignment.
What The Committee Is Working On
- Preparation for Contract Negotiations. The Scheduling Committee will compile a list of requests and items needing review to be shared with our Negotiating Committee.
- Reassignment Flow Chart. Scheduling Committee Members reviewed a draft of the reassignment flow chart and it has been moved forward to the final stages of review and approval. Refer to sections 10.R and 10.R.5 of our CBA.
- Scheduling Quality of Life Improvements. Reviewing ways to improve Trip Length Distribution (TLD) and other quality of life options. Working with management to develop a quality of life survey to determine Flight Attendant scheduling priorities.
- Review of user guides and links of Flight Attendant website. Ensuring information is still accurate in existing resource materials, links are still active and working, etc.
- Updating Crew Access videos. Working with management and ITS to update the Crew Access instructional videos to reflect updates and changes to the user interface.
We Want to Hear From You!
Do you have feedback for the committee, concerns you’d like to share, or items that you’d like brought up with management? Please let us know! Your Local Scheduling Committee is your voice to management. You can open a support request on the AFA Alaska Online Support Center or contact us directly using the information on the Scheduling Committee page of the AFA Alaska website.