In This Edition
- AFA President Sara Nelson Statement on Justice for George Floyd, Attacks on Protesters and Press
- AFA Board of Directors Special Meeting – May 20, 2020
- COVID-19 Agreements Extension – June 2020
- Life Insurance Coverage While on a Staffing Adjustment Leave
AFA President Sara Nelson Statement on Justice for George Floyd, Attacks on Protesters and Press
Washington, DC (May 29, 2020) – Responding to violent clashes between police and protestors demanding accountability for police violence, especially for the killing by police of George Floyd in Minneapolis, AFA International President Sara Nelson released the following statement…
AFA Board of Directors Special Meeting – May 20, 2020
AFA Board of Directors
A Special Meeting of the AFA Board of Directors (BOD) took place on May 20, 2020, at which an interim budget was approved for fiscal year 2020-2021 (July through June). This was AFA’s first ever virtual BOD Meeting. The AFA International Office is currently updating documentation and writing a Compilation of Actions that will be posted online for review by the Board and Members in the near future. We will send notice when this information is available.
COVID-19 Agreements Extension – June 2020
Master Executive Council
The Master Executive Council (MEC) and Alaska Airlines management have previously executed several agreements that temporarily modify the administration of specific contractual provisions in order to mitigate the burden to Flight Attendants and the Company during the COVID-19 pandemic. The parties agreed to extend the duration of some of those agreements that were scheduled to expire on May 31; the agreements are now extended through June 30.
Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs)
- Temporary Waiver of Discipline Delivery Confirmation (04/14/2020) – Notifications of confirmation of oral warnings and written warnings will continue to be sent via Company email rather than by US Mail with delivery confirmation.
Letters of Agreement (LOAs)
- Commuter Policy and Utilizing Other Airline (OAL) Carriers During COVID-19 Schedule Disruptions (04/07/2020) – Registered air commuters may continue to utilize other airline (OAL) carriers to satisfy the “two consecutive scheduled flights from the registered air commuter’s designated registered commuter city to the domicile/co-terminal” requirement in the Commuter Policy.
- JCBA §10.Z Personal Drops During COVID-19 Schedule Disruptions (04/14/2020) – Personal Drop(s) will continue to be administered two days prior to the day requested to be dropped rather than one day prior.
- COVID-19 Schedule Changes (04/17/2020) – Re-times, flight routing changes and other schedule changes that occur in advance of the day of departure of a sequence will continue to be treated just like pre-cancellations with the exception of §10.S.1.c. Continue to email Crew Scheduling up until the day prior if you wish to drop a pre-cancellation without pay protection, and wait to call Crew Scheduling regarding pre-cancellations until the day prior.
Life Insurance Coverage While on a Staffing Adjustment Leave
Master Executive Council
Some of you who took a COVID-19 Staffing Adjustment Leave (SAL) were extremely surprised and angered to learn that your life insurance coverage may have terminated while on leave. Apparently, your Company-sponsored life insurance is cancelled after the first partial or full bid month on a COVID-19 SAL.
This MEC was also surprised to learn that cancellation of coverage has evidently always occurred while on SALs. We confirmed that a reference to this has been in the Alaska Airlines Employee Benefits Handbook for Flight Attendants (AAG SSO required) for many years. Regardless, Inflight management agrees that the disclosure was not included in the original leave materials and related Q&A. Consequently, management is offering a one-time opportunity for Flight Attendants to change their minds and cancel their SAL for July and beyond.
- Flight Attendants must email Inflight Crew Planning no later than 11:59 PM PT on Tuesday, June 2 in order to cancel their SAL for July and beyond and bid for the month of July.
- Flight Attendants who decide to stay out on a SAL may find useful information regarding life insurance portability and conversion options by clicking here (AAG SSO required).
As your direct representative on the MEC, your LEC president is available to answer questions or concerns that you may have about the information above. Contact information for your respective LEC president can be found by clicking here.